Dealing with a headache can be painful, frustrating, and in some cases, debilitating. Whether you experience regular headaches, or even migraines, there are many things you can do to help alleviate symptoms. By working with a practitioner like Dr. Leo or Dr. Rosenberg, you can often discover the root cause and work on returning to a state of homeostasis in the body. When given the correct tools, the body has the ability to heal itself.
What Causes Headaches?
Almost everyone experiences the occasional headaches. However, when it becomes a chronic condition, most people visit their doctor, seeking out relief. Their doctor may recommend anti-inflammatory medications or prescription medications to obtain relief. While this may alleviate symptoms temporarily, there are often root causes that can contribute to the onset of headaches. By discovering those, the patient can work on resolving them, often drastically decreasing the number and frequency of headaches they experience. What are some of the causes of headaches?
- Stress: Stress can take the body out of parasympathetic mode (rest and digest) and throw it into sympathetic mode (fight or flight). When this happens, the effects can be seen throughout the body. So many diseases and illnesses are negatively impacted by stress. By taking certain botanical medicines, using mindfulness techniques, and even meditating, the body can be put back into parasympathetic mode. The result may be a domino effect of improved health. https://www.todaysintegrativehealth.com/product/mdpa-adrenal-stress-formula/
- A diet lacking nutrients: When the body doesn’t get the correct nutrients it needs, it can be thrown out of balance and cause headaches. A magnesium deficiency can be a large part of why someone is experiencing headaches. By supplementing with a good form of magnesium, people often notice relief. https://www.todaysintegrativehealth.com/product/mdpa-supermag-magnesium-malate-and-diglycinate-with-vitamin-b/
- Poor or inadequate sleep: When the body doesn’t get the deep rest and restoration, it doesn’t have the ability to detoxify completely, which can affect the whole body. By getting at least 8 hours of good, restorative sleep every night, you may be able to reduce or prevent the frequency and duration of headaches. https://www.todaysintegrativehealth.com/product/alphawave-l-theanine-120-capsules/
- A body out of : Sometimes people sleep with their necks out of proper alignment, and everyday life can knock the body out of alignment. When adjusted regularly by a chiropractor, the body can be physically manipulated back into alignment.
- Dehydration: If the body is dehydrated, it can cause an imbalance in electrolytes in the body. This can cause headaches, so it’s important to stay hydrated by drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily.
- Food additives or sensitivities. Some people’s headaches are triggered by certain food additives such as MSG, or even food sensitivities. If a person is sensitive to a food group such as nuts, they may experience headaches when consuming foods that contain them.
When you suffer from a headache, it’s important to get to the root cause of what exactly is the trigger. Whether it’s stress, dehydration, or even food sensitivities, they all can be worked on to decrease the frequency and number of headaches. Working with a skilled practitioner can make all the difference.
What Helps a Headache?
Discovering the root cause can be monumental in treating a headache. In general, anti-inflammatory substances like turmeric (https://www.todaysintegrativehealth.com/product/mdpa-curcumin-c3-complex/) can be helpful in treating headaches while discovering the root cause. As you discover what’s causing your headaches, you can come up with a specific treatment plan. There are some herbs that have been used for many years as headache remedies, including:
- Willow bark
Most of these remedies are available in supplement form for ease of use. They have been tried and true over the years. It’s important that you work with a knowledgeable practitioner to help you discover what’s causing your headaches so you can match a treatment plan to help eliminate them.
Let Today’s Integrative Health Help You Improve Your Health
If you’ve been suffering with headaches with no resolution for a long time, it can be very frustrating. Working with a doctor who understands there is a root cause to disease can make all the difference. Dr. Leo, Dr. Rosenberg and our team love helping our neighbors in Rockville, MD, and surrounding areas. We are located at 6321 Executive Blvd, Rockville, MD 20852, in the Executive Office Park. Give us a call today to schedule your first appointment!