Slow Cooked Granola
Yum! Old-fashioned goodness in the form of granola. Great for eating at breakfast or snacking during the day. What an energy boost and you can take it with you anywhere!
- 1 Wooden Spoon
- 1 Small Saucepan
- 1 Cookie Sheet
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats not quick cooking
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds raw
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds raw and unsalted
- 1 cup almonds coarsely chopped and unblanched
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup dry milk powdered and nonfat
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Safflower oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup honey or malt syrup
- 1/2 cup dried apricots finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried figs finely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup black raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the oats, seeds, almonds, wheat germ, dry milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the oil, maple syrup and honey.
- Pour over the oat mixture and toss with your hands or a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are moistened.
- Spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 30minutes, stirring once. The edges tend to turn brown first , so stir carefully.
- When lightly browned, remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Loosen from the pan in chunks and add the dried fruits.
- Seal in airtight container.
Property of The Inn On Oak Creek This recipe is brought to you by the team at Today’s Integrative Health.